Text and Illustrations by Arlene Thayer
Folded canes are simple to make, but the results can appear very intricate. Here is a simple one to start with, inspired by Pamela Dueweke.
This example uses Fimo - 1 block yellow gold, 1 carmine red, 1/2 green, 1/2 orange.
- Roll the conditioned yellow fimo to a flat sheet 1/8" thick. Cut to a shape 2 1/2"x6". Do the same with the carmine red. Make 3 green and 2 orange snakes, 2 1/2"x 1/4".
- Layer the red and yellow slabs and press together gently. Position one of the green snakes at one end and fold the slab over it.
- Turn the slab over and place an orange snake on the carmine side and fold the previous snake over top of it.Continue these two steps creating a fan fold ending in green, as in the illustration to the left.
- Gently squeeze together from the center out to remove any air bubbles and then shape into a triangle, stretching to about 9" long.
- Cut the cane into 4 even pieces and place the points with the yellow tip together as shown below.
- Gently sqeeze and shape and finally roll into a smooth round snake. That's all there is to it!