Here's a lovely and delicate idea for Snowflake Decorations from Leigh Ross, just in time to get ready for your Holiday creating! Use your imagination to fashion delightful decorations for the Holidays!
Click Pictures for a Larger View
- 2 2oz. New Sculpey Ultra Light Clay
- Small bits of light colored clay
- Glitter - Ultra Fine
- Ribbon or metallic elastic
- 1 2oz. Premo Translucent or White or (new)Frost or Pearl clay
- Wax paper
- (Optional) Piñata Inks
- Pasta Machine
- Wax Paper
- Brayer and/or rollers
- Snowflake cookie cutter
- Small Kemper cutters
- Baking pan - flat, and lined w/parchment paper (optional - ceramic tiles)
- Oven thermometer
- Brush for glitter
- Tissue Blade and Exacto type cutter
- Ornament cookie cutters (snowflake, circle, flower, diamond, etc) Examples
1. Mix the Ultra Light with the Translucent/White/Frost/Pearl (whichever you are using) and then condition it through the pasta machine.
Tip - Mixing the clay first makes it easier to put the Ultra Light through the pasta machine, as otherwise it tends to sit on top of the rollers.
2. Divide the mixed clay into two equal pieces.
3. Put one piece through the pasta machine at 5 or 6 and lay on one half of the wax paper and fold the other half over. (photo right)
4. Divide the remaining clay into the same number of pieces + one as your small bits of colored clay.
5. Mix each of the remaining clay pieces with the small bits of colored clay to form pastel colors, leaving the last for white.
6. Roll the colored pieces of clay into thin snakes of equal length (widths can vary). Cut each snake in half and roll out again. Group the snakes together.
7. Hyper twist the snakes together, and roll to smooth it out.
8. Fold in half, and hyper twist again.
9. Compress the twisted clay into a log shape about a half inch less than the width of your pasta machine.
10. Cut the log in half lengthwise, and put one piece through the pasta machine, going to a thinner setting each time (ending at #5) until your sheet is about the same size as the white sheet from Step 3.